From the start of Art of Procurement, I have planned on recording a series of “how-to” or case studies that highlight the steps that leading companies are taking to tackle their most difficult procurement challenges. I’m excited to share with you the first in this series.
Today’s guest is Tim Jones, the Head of Strategic Sourcing at Google.
Google’s Strategic Sourcing organization have been on a journey to become a trusted advisor supporting key strategic stakeholders that represent the most strategic supplier spend and initiatives. In today’s show, Tim will share Google’s journey to date, along with what I think are some really interesting approaches to drive stakeholder engagement.
“We started to build a program around key individuals. We started calling them platinum stakeholders. It’s really about trying to prioritize and focus the resources on where we can have the most impact.”
In this episode, you will learn:
- The challenge that Google faced in positioning procurement as a trusted business advisor in a fast growing company.
- How Google outsourced the administrative and transactional tasks associated with each Buyer’s role to free up space to focus on strategic, value generating activities.
- How Google levered stakeholder segmentation as a key driver of their transition to become a trusted business advisor.
- The program that Google created to drive engagement with their most important stakeholders.
- The innovative technology driven approach that Google took to planning, executing and reporting stakeholder engagement.
- The number 1 action that you can take today to begin the journey to become a trusted business advisor.
Episode Transcript (PDF):
- Click here to download a copy of today’s episode transcript (PDF).
Links and Resources:
Thanks for Listening!