My guest on the Art of Procurement today is John P. (Jack) Miles. There are few, if any, leaders in the procurement profession with the depth and breadth of experience as Jack. Jack has enjoyed multiple CPO roles at some of North America’s largest companies and has served as Secretary of the Florida Department of Managed Services. He is currently an advisory board member at a number of companies including Coupa, DocuSign and People Ticker.
In today’s show, Jack shares seven of the key lessons that he has learned from his career in both the private and public sectors. If you have any interest in growing your procurement career, this episode is a must listen!
“A lot of procurement professionals do not have the courage to advance the ideas and concepts that need to be advanced for them to do well in the field.”
In this episode, you will learn:
- Jack’s opinion on the current health of the procurement profession
- Context and further details behind 7 key lessons that Jack has learned throughout his career to date:
- Give credit, but never take it
- Focus on doing the right thing, and the right results will come
- Think globally, act locally
- Answer all who ask
- Seek first to understand
- Prepare and share
- Add value to others
- The critical steps to building a relationship with your CFO (hint: it isn’t about saving money).
Links and Resources:
- Subscribe to The Art of Procurement
- 50 Lessons from 50 Shows: Art of Procurement Free Report
- Jack Miles on LinkedIn.
- The Tao of Procurement blog post by Jack Miles.
Thanks for Listening!