I strongly feel that we can learn as much from people who are outside procurement as inside procurement, and that is definitely the case in today’s show. My guest today is Anna Spady, the Marketing Manager and Inbound Strategist for RFP365.
In today’s episode, I explore how procurement can learn from Marketing best practices in terms of how you can build strong relationships, and advocates, from people who may initially resist talking to you. It is the classic problem that we have in connecting with our internal stakeholders, and Anna shares a number of ways to overcome this challenge using methods that a number of us inside of procurement may not have considered before.
“What marketing is all about is this ability to say, I understand what you value, I understand where you are coming from, and I am not going to conflict with your values. Rather, I am going to appeal to them and find a common ground.”
In this episode, you will learn:
- Why should a procurement professional listen to a marketer?
- How you can determine what is important to a stakeholder
- How do approach a stakeholder to start your discussions on the right note
- How do marketers attempt to build trust with their prospects?
- What can procurement professionals learn from marketers about getting our ideas heard internally?
- How can you showcase yourself as an expert?
- The single most important thing to remember when attempting to build a stakeholder relationship.
Episode Transcript (PDF):
- Click here to download a copy of today’s episode transcript (PDF).
Links and Resources:
- Subscribe to The Art of Procurement
- RFP365 Corporate Blog
- Anna Spady on LinkedIn, Procurious and Twitter
- Why No One is Listening to Your Great Idea, by Todd Henry
Thanks for Listening!