In this episode of the Art of Procurement, I am joined by Jon Hansen and Kelly Barner, authors of a new book called Procurement At A Crossroads – and we discuss (debate?) what is in the tea leaves for procurement’s future, and what is likely to happen to the winners – and losers.
Listen in to three people deeply passionate about our profession consider the question: what’s next?
“We talked about getting a seat at the executive table. It seems to be an ongoing thing. It never stops. The reality is that you don’t ask for permission.”
In this episode, you will learn:
- How Jon and Kelly came to work together to write Procurement at a Crossroads
- The three tensions that have brought procurement to a critical juncture in terms of our future direction
- How procurement is perceived by outsiders
- Why 47% of procurement will become redundant – and what are the implications
- Why change must come from within, and why we cannot and should not wait for permission
- Jon and Kelly’s perspective on whether or not procurement is truly strategic
- Why an artisan skill set is necessary to forge a successful procurement career going forward
- Why procurement pro’s need to start acting like our colleagues in Sales or Business Development
Episode Transcript (PDF):
- Click here to download a copy of today’s episode transcript (PDF).
Links and Resources:
- Subscribe to The Art of Procurement
- Kelly Barner on LinkedIn
- Jon Hansen on LinkedIn
- Procurement at a Crossroads: Career-Impacting Insights into a Rapidly Changing Industry on Amazon
- AOP006: Turning Raw Data into Actionable Supply Market Intelligence, with Kelly Barner
- Buyers Meeting Point
- Procurement Insights
- BONUS Episode: Procurement at a Crossroads Book Review
Thanks for Listening!