David Hearn is on a mission to help forward thinking procurement leaders transform their procurement organizations from being tactical to strategic. As a practitioner, he has led three different organizations – Juniper, Kaiser Permanente and Sun Microsystems, through this transformation journey.
In today’s Art of Procurement, David shares what he has learned from his experiences to date – what works, and what does not – and he discusses the importance that technology plays in driving the changes that are necessary for a transformation program to be successful.
“Transformation is hard. It is not for the weak at heart, because you get told no a zillion times, and you have to not translate that to an emotional failure, because it will eat you alive. You have to just believe, okay, I have to keep talking about it. They will come around, it’s just natural.”
In this episode, you will learn:
- Does the burning platform for a procurement transformation have to come from outside the procurement organization, or can it come from within?
- How can you make the case for a procurement transformation?
- Where do you start?
- What role does technology have, and what if you do not have a budget for new technology?
- How do you determine which members of your team have the capabilities to take the transformation journey with you?
- How do you keep Executives on board when the results of transformation are often slower than they anticipated?
Episode Transcript (PDF):
- Click here to download a copy of today’s episode transcript (PDF).
Links and Resources:
- Subscribe to The Art of Procurement.
- 50 Lessons from 50 Shows: Art of Procurement Free Report.
- David Hearn of CPO Advisement Services on LinkedIn.
Thanks for Listening!