At some point in time, we all come to a crossroads. A decision has to be made between two paths that has long term implications on the direction of our careers.
I have encountered a number of these crossroads throughout my career to date. In today’s show, I share three such examples, the decisions I took (and why), and then I reflect on the lessons that I learned so that you don’t have to make the same mistakes as I did!
“Do not suffer in silence, but be pragmatic. Don’t throw around demands, but speak from the heart and if your leadership team are genuine about wanting to keep you around, they will find a way – be it a promotion, special projects, or more responsibilities.”
In this episode, you will learn:
- My 5 steps to break free from a stalling procurement career:
- Undertake a self-assessment
- Change your mindset – you are a business of 1
- Undertake independent self-development
- Develop your personal brand
- Seek a new challenge
- Could you use substitute products or services
- Key learnings that I took from three different career crossroads
- A non existent relationship with a manager
- Taking the wrong job
- Hi-potential but no sign of career progression
Links and Resources:
- Subscribe to The Art of Procurement
- 50 Lessons from 50 Shows: Art of Procurement Free Report
- Philip Ideson on LinkedIn
- 5 Steps to Break Free from a Stalled Procurement Career Blog Post
- EP72: The Education Imperative: How to Develop Your Team Through Next Generation Learning w/ Mark Pollack
- 6 (+1) Ways to Develop Your Career Through Low Cost Self Education LinkedIn Pulse Post
Thanks for Listening!